food : instant pot baingan bharta
This is another family favorite. It took making it a few times to really get it right. I used canned tomatoes the first time or two and I think that was a large part of it not tasting quite right. Using the correct number of fresh tomatoes really got the taste and consistency to the right place.
I'm sure this can be done in a regular pressure cooker or a pot, but I only know the instapot way so that is what I am posting here. I only have one other indian dish that I do in the instapot (kichidi), and I will likely post that at some point in the future.
For those not familiar with the dish: baingan bharta is an eggplant dish that ends up a little spicy and a little sweet. It is filling and warm and satisfying.
|2||tsp||Oil (any neutral oil is fine)|
|1||inch||Ginger, peeled, finely chopped|
|5||Garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped|
|1||Serano, or other chili/pepper, finely chopped|
|1||Tomato, large, diced|
|1||Eggplant, large, peeled, cut to big chunks/strips|
|1/3||Cup||Peas, frozen are ok|
|1/4||Cup||Cilantro, plus more for garnish|
- Set instapot to saute. Add oil once heated up
- Once oil is hot add cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, green chili, and a solid pinch of salt. Cook for 3 minutes
- Add all of the ground spices and stir to mix, add tomato and cook for two minutes. Mash the larger pieces of tomato. I use a potato masher for this
- Add eggplant, salt, and water. Stir to mix well (the eggplant should get covered evenly with the rest of the ingredients). Cancel saute mode, put on lid, and set to manual mode (pressure cook) for 12 minutes
- Let pressure release naturally
- Open the lid and use the masher to mash the eggplant
- Taste and add salt if needed, stir
- Turn on saute mode
- Add peas and cilantro, stir to mix, let sit to allow peas to come to temperature, saute for 3 minutes then turn off saute mode
- Serve hot with rice or bread, garnish with more cilantro if desired
- Will keep in tupperware in fridge for a bit (we tend to eat it all pretty quickly, but it should last at least a few days, up to a week - user your judgement)